Lightroom Classic users can post photos to Instagram using the Lightroom for mobile app. The instructions below show you how to do it.
How to share photos in Instagram from Lightroom Classic
1. Create a Collection in Lightroom Classic for storing photos which you will share on Instagram. Make sure you check the Sync with Lightroom box (marked below).
2. When you add photos to this Collection, Lightroom Classic creates Smart Previews (if they don’t already exist) and synchronizes with Lightroom for mobile.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Using Smart Previews in Lightroom to learn more about this process.
3. Open Lightroom for mobile. Your photos will appear there once the two programs have synchronized (below).
4. Tap on a photo to view it full size, then tap the share icon in the top right corner (the one with the arrow pointing upwards out of a box, see below).
5. Tap Open In…, select Small – 2048px for Image Size, then tap the Instagram icon to upload the photo straight to your feed. If you want to add the photo to your story, use the Import with Instagram icon instead.
6. Write a caption for your photo, including any hashtags you want to add, and tap Share. Lightroom for mobile publishes the photo on Instagram.
What if I don’t have Lightroom for mobile?
Lightroom for mobile is a free download, but if you don’t have it there’s another way to post your photos to Instagram from Lightroom Classic. There’s an extra step involved, and that’s exporting your photos from Lightroom Classic to a Dropbox folder on your computer (you can simplify the process by making an Export preset). Then go to the Dropbox app on your mobile device and open your photos in the Instagram app.
Thanks for reading. You can get more great articles and tips about Lightroom Classic and photography in my popular Mastering Photography email newsletter. Join today and I’ll send you my ebook Introducing Lightroom Classic and 47 PhotoTips cards. Over 30,000 photographers subscribe. Enter your email now and join us.